Branding is one of the marketing words that is a bit vague and often misused or underutilized, oftentimes, people always use branding and logo interchangeably, even though logo can be the symbol of a business, it’s not the entirety of brand.
Not to complicate things, creating a logo is just one step towards developing a brand identity, branding is not what just happened in a day, come to think of it, a strong brand like coca-cola, Apple, Gucci to mention a few didn’t just create a logo but create an experience around their products and the service they render.
I’m a big advocate of beautiful logos, strong online presence, but for you to strive in the digital world, you have to offer that will make your audiences, buyer personas keep coming back after the first purchase.
let get into it,
It will be a total waste of time to write branding without a clear definition of some terms
What is a brand?
A brand is a feature or set of features that distinguish one organization from another. It is the overall experiences a customer undergoes when interacting with your business, products, or services. It is not limited to logo or symbols, it includes name, tagline, brand voice, and more.
What is branding?
Branding is the process of creating a strong and positive perception of a business, it is what your business needs to break through the crowded digital world and grab your ideal customer’s attention, it’s what transforms a first-time buyer into lifetime buyer. In a nutshell, branding is what you need if you what your business to thrive.
Importance of Branding
Branding is important because
1. Branding increases business value; branding is very important when it comes to credibility, a strongly established brand increase business’ value which in turns give your company more leverage in the industry
2. Branding generates an avenue for new customers; A good brand goes a long way in a business referral, strong branding generally means creating a positive impression of the company amongst consumers.
3. Brand recognition; Brand recognition is reason branding is important to business, how your business or product gain recognition that determines your sales.
4. Branding creates trust within the marketplace; A well-strategized and professional appearing branding helps build trust with audiences and potential buyers.
5. Branding aids advertising; Advertising is another component to branding, which directly affect marketing. Good advertising strategies directly reflect the brand and its desired portrayal.
How to create a brand
Here are step by step procedure in creating a brand that strives in the digital world
- Choose your business name
- Research your target audience and your competitors
- Find your brand voice
- Create visual assets
- Identify your unique selling point
- Apply your branding across all your business platform
1. Choose your business name
Choosing a name is the first thing when it comes to branding, your company or product name is what people probably will first know about your products. So to start with, is your name easy to imitate,? Is it easy to remember? Is any of your competitors using the name? What experiences are attached to the name you chose?
The aforementioned questions are some the questions you need to answer before choosing a business name, a business name must be easy to imitate, it must be easy to remember, it’s very important to research a name you want to use for your business.
Below are approaches you will find useful in generating a name
- Make up a word e.g 5alive
- Create an acronym for a longer name e.g ABK farms
- Combine two words e.g digital promotion (Digprom )
- Use a business name generator
2. Research your target audiences
Researching and identifying audiences is the most important part to consider in branding, you must understand whom your branding will be speaking with. This helps you answer questions like, who does your product serve, why do you create your business, what problem is your product solving? Branding has to resonate with your audience because this is the bases for building recognition, awareness, and trust.
3. Identify your unique selling point (USP)
The business industry is now crowded, therefore it’s important you focus on yourself and Identify your USP, even though you research your competitor and learn from them, it still not enough, you have to be able to know what is unique about your products or business what distinguish you among your niche. It is important to identify that one thing your competitors can not copy or mimic.
4. Create visual assets
After you have a business name, identify your audience, its time you move unto exciting part of branding visuals, visuals include your logo, color, typography(fonts). And other virtual components
5. Develop your brand voice
This part is also an interesting part of branding, what would your brand sound like if you had a conversation with it or if it was texted to you , this part of branding entails how you communicate with your target audience. It’s crucial to develop a voice that resonates with your brand and target audience. This branding method forms the major part of your advertising campaigns, your social media captions down to blog posts.
I hope you find this article helpful, remember to drop your comment(s) and follow us on our social media platforms@digprom.